What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift is a plastic surgery procedure designed to restore a firm and youthful appearance to the breasts. Also called a mastopexy, a breast lift is designed to lift sagging breasts, placing them higher on the chest. Breast lifts are quickly gaining popularity for reversing the natural sagging of the breasts due to:
- Heredity and Genetics
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Dramatic Weight Changes
- The Natural Aging Process
Breast lift procedures will not significantly change your breast size but they are a great option for patients who want to lift their sagging without adding the volume of the implate. Breast lifts maintain the natural body proportions while giving your breasts a perkier, younger, and natural appearance.
Get The Body of Your Dreams
Should I get a Breast Lift?
If you have excess skin around the breast area, abundant scar tissue surrounding your breasts, or breasts that have begun to sag, you might be a good candidate for a breast lift procedure. A breast lift might be the right cosmetic surgery procedure if you can answer “yes” to any of the following questions:
- Do my areolas sit low on my breast?
- Your nipples and areolas may sit lower on your breast due to genetics or sagging of the breasts
- Do my nipples point downward?
- When the breasts begin to sag, the nipple will be pulled downward by gravity due to the weight of the breast.
- Are my breasts asymmetrical?
- Heredity and genetics may cause your breasts to be unevenly matched.
The only way to know for sure if a breast lift procedure is right for you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nikko at the Nikko Cosmetic Surgery Center located in Houston, Texas.
What is Breast Ptosis (Breast Sagging)?
Breast sagging, is known as breast ptosis, is completely natural and can occur due to weight loss, pregnancy and related events, aging, and more. The extent of the breast sagging will vary based on the individual patient. Examples of the degrees of breast sagging include:
- Mild: The nipple lies slightly above, or directly level with, the crease under the breast.
- Moderate: The central point of the nipple falls slightly below the crease under the breast.
- Severe: the central point of the nipple falls more than 3cm below the crease under the breast.
Although the placement of the nipple can give the appearance of breast ptosis, breasts may also appear to sag because:
- Their natural placement is low on the chest without any breast ptosis.
- They have a large or flattened breast lobe within them, referred to as pseudo-ptosis.
During your consultation Dr. Nikko will determine the degree of your breast ptosis and discuss your options with you.
What is the Process for a Breast Lift?
- Your first step is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nikko at his Houston Cosmetic Surgery Center. During your consultation, Dr. Nikko will discuss your personal goals and expectations with you, explain your options, explain the procedure in detail, and you will be shown “before” and “after” photos. For some patients, the addition of breast implants may be necessary to help achieve their goal.
- The day of your surgery you will be placed under general anesthesia. Nikko will perform the procedure, removing excess skin and lifting the breast to the proper location on the chest. Dr. Nikko is an expert in skin care with over 15 years’ experience; he is an expert at minimizing and camouflaging the thin and inconspicuous scars from his incisions.
- Breast lifts are an outpatient procedure; once you have comfortably recovered from your sedation you may go home and begin the recovery process.
What it the Breast Lift Recovery Process?
A breast lift is a complex procedure and requires a longer recovery time than a breast augmentation procedure. Patients must refrain from any strenuous physical activity for some time to allow the breast to properly heal. Dr. Nikko will provide medication for managing any pain, which should subside following the procedure. Regular exercise must be avoided for some time following your mastopexy. If you have any questions or doubts about returning to work or your exercise routine, Dr. Nikko will be happy to make a recommendation for you.