Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
Otoplasty (also referred to as cosmetic ear surgery, ear pinback surgery, or ear pinning surgery) is a plastic surgery procedure used to improve the shape, position, and/or proportion of the ears. Otoplasty is used to correct ear issues that have been present since birth, and for issues that occur later in life due to injury. The ears are prominent facial features and are an important part of our appearance and self-image. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons on the topic of ear surgery says that, “correction of even minor deformities can have profound benefits to appearance and self-esteem.”
Otoplasty is appropriate for adults, adolescents, and teens who suffer from disproportionate or misshapen ears. Otoplasty is often used to correct:
- Ears that look too large or are disproportionate.
- Ear disfigurement due to an injury.
- Asymmetrical ears.
- Ears that protrude excessively.
- Previous, unsuccessful ear surgery.
Otoplasty can restore the ears to a more natural shape and size, greatly improving self-esteem and self-image. Dr. Anthony Nikko is a Houston-area cosmetic surgeon with over 15 years experience. He can help you restyle your facial image by creating a natural ear shape and by bringing balance and proportion to your ears and face. Schedule your consultation at the Nikko Cosmetic Surgery in Houston, Texas today to discover what otoplasty can do for you.
What is the Otoplasty (Ear Pinning Surgery) Process?
1: Schedule your consultation at the Nikko Cosmetic Surgery Center in Houston, Texas.
- During your consultation Dr. Nikko will evaluate and examine your ears (or your child’s ears if the procedure is to be performed on them). He will discuss your goals for otoplasty and compare your expectations to the probable outcome of the procedure. He will thoroughly explain how to prepare, what to expect during the procedure, and what to expect during the otoplasty recovery process.
2: The otoplasty procedure.
- Otoplasty is performed as an outpatient procedure using general anesthesia. The ear surgery usually takes around 2 hours to complete and does not require an overnight stay. During a typical otoplasty an incision is made behind the ear, exposing the cartilage. Nikko will then sculpt the cartilage, bending it back toward the head. On occasion Dr. Nikko will remove a small piece of cartilage in order to provide a more natural-looking ear fold; non-removable sutures will be used to help maintain the new ear shape. A bandage will be placed around the head protecting the incision area. During your initial consultation Dr. Nikko will have thoroughly explained the exact process of the otoplasty procedure as it applies your specific situation and your personal goals.
3: The otoplasty recovery process.
The initial otoplasty recovery process lasts from 1-2 weeks. Patients are able to return to school or work in less than week and typically within just a few days. Dr. Nikko removes any sutures approximately 7 days after the procedure. Normal professional and social activities may be resumed once the sutures have been removed. Strenuous activity and exercise should be avoided for 4-6 weeks following the otoplasty procedure.
- Some swelling, redness, and numbness are normal reactions and should be expected.
- Any pain or discomfort will be managed with medication prescribed by Dr. Nikko.
- Some very minor scarring will occur from the otoplasty but will be well-hidden by Dr. Nikko. By following his aftercare instructions they will eventually be virtually impossible to detect.
If you or a loved one suffers from disproportionate or misshapen ears due to genetics or injury, schedule your free otoplasty consultation with highly-rated cosmetic surgeon and skin expert Dr. Anthony Nikko at the Nikko Cosmetic Surgery Center in Houston, Texas today. Cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance providers and patients are financially responsible for any cosmetic services. Financing for otoplasty is available; read more about otoplasty financing here.