What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is one of the most common and popular cosmetic surgery procedures available. It is often casually referred by patients as “lipo” and it is medically referred to as lipoplasty. Liposuction is a surgical procedure performed to remove the body’s unwanted, stubborn fat deposits, and for sculpting and improving the body’s contour and proportions. Not all fat cells will respond to diet and exercise. Lifestyle choices, genetics, age, and environmental factors all contribute to the accumulation of unwanted fat deposits in the body. Most often, male patients seek the benefit of liposuction in order to remove unwanted and stubborn fat from localized areas such as the:
- Chest area
- Abdominal area
- Pubic area
- Face and chin
Q&A on Men's Liposuction
Dr Nikko answers online user’s questions on liposuction for men.
Liposuction is performed by inserting a tube (also referred to as a “cannula”) through a tiny and precise incision that is strategically placed where it is easily hidden. Once the cannula is safely inserted, suction is used to remove the unwanted fat from the body. Liposuction is neither treatment for obesity nor a substitute for proper diet and exercise. Instead, liposuction should be used as an enhancement procedure, helping you to precisely sculpt your body and jumpstart or continue a healthier lifestyle.
Dr. Nikko has been performing male liposuction procedures at his Houston Cosmetic Surgery Center for over fifteen years. Today he uses the most advanced and modern method of liposuction available: Tumescent liposuction (also referred to as Liposculpture).
What is Tumescent Liposuction?
Tumescent liposuction is the latest in liposuction technology. It performs just as well as traditional liposuction but with less of an impact on the body, reducing any soreness or bruising. It is a minimally invasive procedure using saline fluid and local anesthesia. Once the area has been numbed the saline fluid is injected into the fat cells, suspending them within and allowing them to be removed more efficiently. Tumescent liposuction allows for a faster and more comfortable recovery as well.
1: Am I a candidate for liposuction?
- Men of all ages and professions can benefit from liposuction. Those who will experience the most from their liposuction procedure are men in good health who have:
- Firm and elastic skin.
- Distinct areas of localized fat that are disproportionate their bodies.
- Tried unsuccessfully to get rid of fat through diet and exercise.
- Realistic expectations for their liposuction results.
2: How much weight can I expect to lose*?
- Liposuction is not a substitute for a weight loss program but it is a great supplement and a way to lose* inches. While it is true that removing large amounts of fat will result in weight loss the overall goal of liposuction is to sculpt the body. If you exercise but still have trouble achieving your goals, liposuction is a great option for you.
3: Do liposuction results last?
- We are all born with a certain amount of fat cells in the body that, after puberty, stop reproducing. Once these cells have been removed, results can last. All patients that undergo liposuction treatments must commit to a healthy lifestyle complete with proper diet and exercise in order to maintain their image. Even though the removed fat cells may not return you will still prone to developing fat deposits in untreated areas of the body.
4: Will I need more than one procedure?
- Many patients are thrilled with the dramatic results from just one liposuction procedure. Patients that use liposuction as a way to “jump-start” a fitness program usually continue to refine and reshape their body, undergoing additional liposuction treatments in order to fine tune certain areas of the body that remain resistant to diet and exercise.
5: What effect will liposuction have on my skin?
- Liposuction will not correct any existing dimples or stretch marks you may already have. The use of small cannulas permits the fibrous connections between your skin and body to remain, avoiding any major or visible scars. Excessive skin folds are so rare that most patients avoid surgical skin excision.
6: What is the liposuction recovery process?
- Liposuction is an outpatient surgery and you can expect be released from our Houston clinic within an hour following your procedure. You can expect some soreness and swelling. Most patients are able to return to work fairly soon following their procedure, but as with all procedures, results can vary patient to patient. Everyone tolerates pain at different levels; paying attention to your body’s response to pain is one of the best ways to ensure a fast and safe recovery. Nikko will provide a compression garment to be worn over the treated area, facilitating the healing process. Pain medication will be prescribed to make your recovery as comfortable as possible.
What’s my next step?
If you feel that liposuction is the right procedure for you, schedule your consultation with Dr. Nikko at the Nikko Cosmetic Surgery Center in Houston, Texas today. Cosmetic enhancement procedures are not covered insurance carriers; patients are financially responsible for their liposuction procedure.